slipfriction.com

Tuesday 14 May 2013

Android 4.0 ICS on Wyse Terminal

Today I used an old Wyse C10le to boot Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich from a 4GB bootable USB stick. This terminal had a corrupted firmware and failed to boot the Wyse OS, turned out that the flash based boot device was faulty. I thought it had good enough specs to try ICS on this device, with an x86 compatible VIA VX855 1GHz processor. I had to change the 512MB RAM to a 2GB PC2-6400 chip instead.
The terminal booted fine first time round, a bit slow booting from USB but was nice to get a welcome screen asking me to set up what it thought was a tablet. Running Android on this Wyse was pretty useless, no network connectivity and very unstable. Scrolling through the menus with the mouse and keyboard was quite fast but running any application would make it painfully slow. Sound was very choppy and it failed to render any kind of video I tried to run. I can’t really think of any useful need for this device at the moment and I’ve got quite a few terminals kicking around. I’ve successfully ran a number of different linux distros including DSL, XBMC and Fedora on this Wyse, a few S10’s and a V10l. Don’t know what to do with them now……….

No comments:

Post a Comment